LINKTOWN CHURCH KIRKCALDY
LINKTOWN CHURCHKIRKCALDY

HISTORY OF LINKTOWN

THE CONGREGATION OF 'LINKTOWN' WAS FORMED IN 1737 AS A DISSENTING CHURCH BY THE PEOPLE WHO HAD SECEDED FROM ABBOTSHALL PARISH CHURCH. THE SITE OF THE ORIGINAL CHURCH WAS AT THE POINT WHERE THE PARISHES OF KIRKCALDY AND ABBOTSHALL JOINED, HENCE THE NAME ' LINKTOWN CHURCH '

THE ORIGINAL BUILDING WAS OPENED IN 1740 AND WAS A LITTLE CLOSER TO THE HIGH STREET THAN THE EXISTING BUILDING. APPARENTLY, NO RECORD,PHOTOGRAPH, PLAN OR SKETCH OF THE ORIGINAL BUILDING HAS BEEN FOUND.IN 1829, THE GALLERY OF KIRKCALDY OLD KIRK COLLAPSED, WITH THE LOSS OF LIFE RESULTING IN A HEALTH AND SAFETY INSPECTION OF ALL LOCAL CHURCH BUILDINGS. LINKTOUN'S BUILDING WAS CONDEMNED AND THE CURRENT BUILDING WAS ERECTED AND OPENED ON 13TH NOVEMBER 1831 AT A COST OF £4K. AT THAT TIME, THE NEW NAME OF BETHELFIELD WAS ADOPTED, AS THE BUILDING IS IN BETHELFIELD PLACE.BETHELFIED CHURCH WAS ORIGINALLY BETHELFIELD (BURGHER) UNITED ASSOCIATE CONGREGATION. IN 1847 BETHELFIELD BECAME UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, AND IN 1900 UNITED FREE CHURCH.IN 1929 BETHELFIELD BECAME CHURCH OF SCOTLAND WHEN THE UNITED FREE CHURCH AND CHURCH OF SCOTLAND REUNITED.

 THE UNION WITH INVERTIEL TOOK PLACE IN 1990 AND THE BETHELFIELD BUILDING WAS CHOSEN BY ARBITERS AS THE PLACE OF WORSHIP. THE JOINT CONGREGATIONS CHOSE THE NAME 'LINKTOWN' TO BE THE NAME OF THE NEW CONGREGATION.THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES OF SCOTLAND IN EDINBURGH HAVE MANAGERS MINUTES AND OTHER RECORDS FROM 1797 ONWARDS (REF CH3 846) FOR ACCESS DETAILS SEE www.nas.gov.uk INTERESTINGLY, THE MINISTER FROM 1799 TO 1859 WAS REV. JAMES LAW, HOWEVER, LAW IS A COMMON LOCAL NAME.

 

 

Print Print | Sitemap
© Ian Ogilvie